U is for USP, your Unique Selling Proposition. Do you have one? Do people know what your business does for them? Wikipedia offers up these classics:
“Some good current examples of products with a clear USP are:
- Head & Shoulders: “You get rid of dandruff”
- Olay: “You get younger-looking skin”
Some unique propositions that were pioneers when they were introduced:
- Domino’s Pizza: “You get fresh, hot pizza delivered to your door in 30 minutes or less — or it’s free.”
- FedEx: “When your package absolutely, positively has to get there overnight”
- M&M’s: “The milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hand”
- Wonder Bread: “Wonder Bread Helps Build Strong Bodies 12 Ways”
They are clear and memorable. It’s probably quite difficult to work our what your own USP is, so something I often recommend to clients is that they ask clients and colleagues to reflect back to you what you are appreciated for. Likely as not there’s a common thread which you can weave into what you want to be known for, which can then become a brand standard to which you can nail your colours and by which measure your performance.
What’s your USP?