We have been looking at measurement and evaluation in one of my entrepreneur coaching groups. How important are quantifiable results for your business? I will let you decide, but what I wanted to share with you today is The Hawthorne Principle: what we observe, or measure, increases.
What do you want to increase in your business?
- Number of clients
- Number of visitors to your website and blog
- Sign-ups to your newsletter
- Average spend by client
- Number of networking events attended and how much business comes from them
- Pieces of work quoted for
- Confirmed orders
- Money into your business bank account
Choose some of these to measure. Write down what happened in the last month or two and then monitor increases over the next few weeks and months. Let’s see if the simple act of recording and measuring increases them. Remember not to put anything on your list you don’t want increasing, like bad debts or difficult clients.
Energy flows where attention goes so watch where you are putting your attention.